How to Build a Nursing Nest
If you've taken my YourBest Childbirth Education class, you know about nursing nests. But, for the rest of you, here's the lowdown..
A nursing nest is, quite simply, an area that is set up to make nursing easier and more comfortable for you.
First, you'll want to pick a nice, comfy spot you don't mind spending some time in. I loved our old broken-in recliner for nursing my daughter. I could nurse her, rock her and then recline and catch some zzzs of my own!
Next, you'll want to gather all the essentials. Here are my top picks:
- Nursing Pillow- I LOVED the My Brest Friend pillow but, once I figured out natural breastfeeding (something we cover in YourBest Childbirth Ed), I didn't even need a pillow!
- Nipple cream- My favorite is the Earth Mama Nipple Butter, which you can pick up locally at Babies R Us or Buy, Buy Baby.
- Burp rag or receiving blanket for cleaning up messes (spit up, leaking milk, diaper explosions)
- Nursing pads- I love these reusable nursing pads from Bamboobies. They are much more comfortable than the plastic disposable ones.
- Snacks for you- bonus points if they are easy to eat one-handed!
- Water bottle- you've gotta stay hydrated too, mama.
- The television remote- because there's no better time for binge-watching Netflix!
- A nearby outlet for keeping your cell phone/tablet/kindle charged.